Tips

Igw Electric wall mounted television

The Devil is in the Details

Hanging a flat screen on your wall is about 90% easy.  It is the other 10% that will cause you to pull your hair out.  Here are tips that our home electricians have learned from hanging hundreds of them for our customers in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Williamsburg, Yorktown, and throughout Hampton Roads.

  • Most wall mounts are now universal.  Just make sure you pick the right size for your flat screen, including weight.  The mounts that pull out enabling you to change your viewing angle are extremely hard to get level.  They are also more prone to accidents and mishaps.
  • Make sure all of your cords and cables are long enough before you start your upgrade.
  • Design a plan for your cords and cables to run behind the wall from the television to behind your entertainment center.
  • Do not mount your television too high.  This is a common mistake our home electricians see in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Hampton Roads.  You do not want to sit looking up but rather straight at your screen.
  • If you are hanging  your flat screen on a wall by itself then you need to make a plan for where to put your receiver.  For example: DIRECTV makes a receiver number H25 which is about one third the size of a normal receiver and can be mounted behind the TV.  This requires a dongle (antenna) so the remote can see the receiver.  The antenna is behind the flat screen as well.
  • For looks and ease of use have a home electrician put the power outlet behind the screen.
  • Finally, you will need four hands, never just two.  Or just call our residential electrical contractors company to do it for you.